Opinions on OOTP 18?

A forum for introductions and casual chat about the baseball simulation hobby. Who are you? How do you like to use baseball simulations? Do you like league play, historical replays, drafting, or library construction? Come on in and join the conversation!

Opinions on OOTP 18?

Postby Tim-Reigns » Tue May 02, 2017 4:57 am

If one is looking for baseball sim with GM capabilities, has anyone had success with Out of the Park, which is now up to Version 18? Is its game engine a throwaway compared to Digital Diamond or DMB?

Sometimes I want to tinker with career mode and things like demotion and minor leagues. Not often, but enough to consider it if anyone has played it and can recommend it. Thanks!
Tim-Reigns

Re: Opinions on OOTP 18?

Postby DDBBAdmin » Tue May 02, 2017 10:38 am

Hi Tim,

I don't have much experience with OOTP but I am sure some of the other members do and will chime in here soon enough. However, I did want to make sure you were aware of DDBB's career mode. To use the career mode follow these steps:

• Replay an entire season of your choice.
  • When you are ready to start the next season, use the Restart Season Using Career Mode. This will not only restart the season but also age all the players in the library using "MIPS", which is a sophisticated projection system that ages players based on their age, their performance in the previous year, and how they were used/managed in the previous year. The aging algorithm was developed by a highly decorated statistician and baseball fan.
  • Each time players are aged, some of the older players will retire. When this happens you need to replenish the library with some young talent. You can do this using the import players from another library feature. Just goto the Browse/Edit players screen and click the Import/Generate button, then select "Import players from another library". Select the library you want to import players from, the position and number of players at that position, the minimum number of G/GS the imported players should have, and then the MaxAge. Because these are supposed to be rookies, choose a young max age. If you want the rookies to be fictional check the Generate Random Names check box. Click on Generate and the players will be placed on your Free Agent team. You can do this as often as you like with different positions.
  • Another option when you replenish your library with rookies is to pull the players from the really awesome set of fictional player libraries we have on our site. There are four fictional rookie libraries (19 year olds, 20 year olds, 21 year olds, and 22 year olds). These libraries were created by a DDBB user Rickengeezer and they contain a statistically realistic collection of fictional youngsters that you can use with the "Import players from another library feature". If you want to go this route just download the libraries from http://digitaldiamondbaseball.com/libraries.php and install them Digital Diamond Baseball. After they are installed they will appear as a choice in the import players from another library feature.
  • After you import the rookies into your library you can run a short draft so that teams in your library can draft some of the new talent that you put on the free agent team.
  • After the draft you should regenerate the team profiles (and manually end the team profiles for the teams you are going to manage personally) and then replay another season. Continue to do this as often as you like and watch your players develop and decline and see if you can build and maintain a dynasty!

Be sure to let us know if you have any questions about DDBB's career mode. You can also post questions about this feature on the forum - there are a few users on the forum that have a lot of experience with it.

With all that said --- let's get back to your original question about OOTP. Anyone have experience with OOTP 18?
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby rdrunner » Tue May 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Tim-Reigns wrote:If one is looking for baseball sim with GM capabilities, has anyone had success with Out of the Park, which is now up to Version 18? Is its game engine a throwaway compared to Digital Diamond or DMB?

Sometimes I want to tinker with career mode and things like demotion and minor leagues. Not often, but enough to consider it if anyone has played it and can recommend it. Thanks!

OOTP is great but only for fictional leagues. You do almost need a degree in business to play it because it's more of a business simulation than a sports simulation. But if you ever dreamed of running a team and want to take the time it takes to play it, it's a great game.

For real seasons, it's a pretty big failure. I stopped playing it back in 2014.
rdrunner

Postby johnnybravo17 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Tim-Reigns wrote:If one is looking for baseball sim with GM capabilities, has anyone had success with Out of the Park, which is now up to Version 18? Is its game engine a throwaway compared to Digital Diamond or DMB?

I'll second rdrunner on this one. OOTP is fantastic for fictional (and by fictional, I mean not based on history in any way, shape, or form -- fictional franchises, participating in fictional leagues, with fictional players) play. Second to none in that regard. It's origins are to manage those things that take place "Out Of" the park ... hence the name. That means that it's much stronger (and very heavy) on the management side of things. You'll be dealing with contracts, farm clubs, etc. etc. and managing an entire organization. It can be VERY involved in this regard. And the notion that it is a business simulator is a very good one.

Lately (starting with V16 and V17) it's paid a bit more attention to the action "On" the field ... becoming more of an "everyman" sim in this regard. The graphics engine got a facelift, individual games can be played out with quite a bit more detail, etc. etc. This makes the individual game experience much better, IMHO (and I haven't even seen V18, yet) than it was before ... but I still find all of the "non-baseball related" stuff you have to do in managing the organization to be a bit overwhelming for my tastes. I wouldn't compare it directly to DDBB, or even DMB for this reason. It's really a whole different animal in and of itself.

It used to be that you could download past versions for free. Haven't checked on, or done that for a while ... so I don't know if it's still true. But they've probably got some sort of trial available. If you're really into baseball, it's worth checking out, as you may very well find something about it that you feel is worth investing a little time. There are certainly many that do, as the game has a huge and passionately active fanbase.

But if your GM aspirations are in any way based on history (ie. you want to pickup the Mets from 1962 and see if you can get them to the series by 1969) then OOTP wouldn't be my choice. Now that you've got one foot in the DDBB water, I'd take Mark's suggestion and explore the DDBB career mode first.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby JeffSelf13 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I haven't touched OOTP 18 but I have played with 15, 16, and 17. I want to love the game. I really do. The graphics are amazing. On the surface, it seems like the perfect baseball game. But when you dig into it, its not really a baseball game. Its more akin to Sim City. To me, it seems like a software program written for MBA or Sports Management students. Baseball is an afterthought here. It could have been basketball or something. The effort involved to make the game play like Digital Diamond or Diamond Mind is high. So unless you want to focus 100% on being in the front office of a fictional franchise, I'd stay away from it.
JeffSelf13

Postby georgecf » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Before discovering DDBB, I had felt compelled to buy each new version of OOTP, hoping that each time, I would figure out how to do what I had hoped . . . each time, the result was frustration after a futile attempt to set-up a league as I wanted . . . OOTP looks as if it is a tremendous game, but it is also basically uselesss to someone looking to replay a certain season, or to customize rosters/leagues to personal desires . . .

DDBB has filled the void that had existed for many years in the baseball sim world that I knew (I am 57 years old) . . . with DDBB, I can replay minor-league seaons from the past, which I often do . . . I have also replayed an Independent League in which my cousin played . . . the flexibility and customization is endless, and allows me to do what I wanted to do with past versions of OOTP, but could never achieve . . .

This is not to denigrate OOTP . . . it seems to do well what is intends to do . . . but what it intends to do is much more complex and complicated than simply "playing" a season . . . from where I sit, the opinion is to immerse yourself in DDBB and its capabilities . . . ultimately, it seems you will be well-satisfied . . .

Give your feedback on DDBB to Mark (the developer) . . . he has proven himself to be very responsive to users, and DDBB has largely-developed to where it is based on user feedback . . .

George
georgecf

Postby 32koufax » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:52 pm

I'll jump in on this one. Prior versions of OOTP, playing historical sim seasons, were just OK. This year's version has produced incredible sim numbers. Also, the 3d stadiums incorporating gameplay animation is quite immersive. Looking at cumulative and individual stats, I've been mighty impressed. Here are some 1962 numbers for OOTP18. Actual lineups and transactions were used...

Maury Wills: 712 ab/ 207 hits/ 115 runs/ 12-2b/ 8-3b/ 6-hr/ 65 rbi / 42 bb/ 67k / .291 ave / .332ob% /.355 slug%/ 121 sb/ 3 gidp----- OOTP18
695 ab/ 208 hits/ 130 runs/ 13-2b/ 10-3b/ 6-hr/ 48 rbi / 51 bb/ 57k / .299 ave / .347ob%/ .373 slug%/ 104 sb/ 7 gidp----- real life
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mantle
G AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K AVG OBP SLG SB WAR RUNS GIDP
154 426 149 18 1 32 91 129 89 .350 .496 .622 6 10.7 119 10-------------------OOTP18
123 377 121 15 1 30 89 122 78 .321 .486 .605 9 5.9 96 4------------------ REAL LIFE
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Drysdale
G GS Rec SV ERA IP HA HR BB K WHIP WAR CG SHO H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9
40 40 22-11 0 2.55 314.1 263 17 68 254 1.05 10.3 15 6 7.5 0.5 2.0 6.4-------------------OOTP18
43 41 25-9 1 2.83 314.1 272 21 78 272 1.13 5.3 19 2 7.8 0.6 2.2 6.6-------------------REAL LIFE
OOTP18 and real life MLB STATS:
AB: 112,065 ootp18/ 110,688
H: 28,886 / 28,521
2B: 4,339/ 4,313
3B: 794/ 853
HR: 2,913/ 3,001
RBI: 13,520/ 13,546
BB: 10,694/ 10,936
HBP: 723/ 709
SO: 17,278/ 17,567
SB: 1,230/ 1,348
CS: 710/ 701