Who are you?

A forum for introductions and casual chat about the baseball simulation hobby. Who are you? How do you like to use baseball simulations? Do you like league play, historical replays, drafting, or library construction? Come on in and join the conversation!

Re: Who are you?

Postby Rick153 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:43 pm

I very recently purchased this game because I was remembering how much I enjoyed the EWB game on the ol' Tandy 1000 I once had and stumbled on this by accident as I researched for BB games on the internet. I am still learning and struggling a bit with this but ran my first season and thankfully, the '37 Yanks won it all. I also remembered generating my own team consisting of players of unusually good abilities, but with Dick Stuart gloves (guys were thinking that they should have X-rayed his glove; it was for good reason that his nickname was "Dr. Strangeglove")...or great range but poor arms.
I am a retired educator and still a musician, so I bring nothing to the forum other than memories of Mel Allen broadcasting Yankee games and my memorable visit to the stadium to see Mantle and Maris (Mantle homered) play in '61.
Thanks for supplying such a great game and bringing back some memorable names. Also, Mark, thanks for your rapid, helpful and kind responses.
Rick153

Postby sfmac » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:09 am

Rick153;
Welcome aboard. As I'm sure you're discovering Mark has developed a great game with loads of features and, thanks to the community, a truly fabulous collection of seasons to play with.
As you gain experience you may wish to add suggestions for improved play or ideas for seasons. Feel free to speak up. Also don't hesitate to ask for help. The DDBB community is filled with experience and know how.
Mac
"Statistics show that people who have the most birthdays live the longest".
sfmac

Postby Beatles Eternally » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Hi all,

I am a hopeless baseball fanatic; I find other sports tedious at best. I am a student of the game's history with a particular focus on the Deadball era. When I'm not simming baseball, I am a musician - keyboards and vocals in a band that pays tribute to the two musical British invasions of the 60s and 70s (and I am not old enough to grow up during those musically innovative years). I am also a graphic artist and sleight of hand magician, in other words, the person you wouldn't want to play Poker with.

I love DDBB and the community here is amazing. Kudos to the devs who are creating what I believe will be one of the best baseball sims ever! It's really good nw, but, I see it contending with Action PC and OOTP in a few years Just one wish: please add options for pick offs and pitchouts?

Cheers,

"Beatles"
Beatles Eternally

Postby DDBBAdmin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 am

Hi Beatles,

Welcome to the DDBB community! I am glad you are enjoying the game. I have made a note of your suggestion for pick offs and pitchouts. It is in our database for a future version.

Enjoy!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby GEL » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Like a lot of others in this thread I have ties to various board/pc games. I can still remember buying my first DMB season waiting ( impatiently) to receive
those 3" floppy discs via "snail mail". I didn't invest too heavily in the seasons on offer and then I stopped completely when it was clear the company wasn't really
investing in me as a future user. I was curious (after a hiatus from playing baseball sims in general) if the market place had picked up where (...in my mind DMB had left off..)
when DDBB came to my attention. I'm learning the interface and the logic behind the game but one thing was clear from the start: that attention to game play.. sorry, I meant to say..

!!GAME PLAY!!

... the magic to be found in the "suspension of disbelief" was apparent immediately. Well done guys!

Other than that... I was able to retire rather early to enjoy my other joys: 2 daughters, 1 a 2hr drive away; the other a 17hr flight; the further adventures w/ guitar (used to make a living w/ it)
and my sea kayak/sail (so much water so little time) and flight simming...altho' that activity has taken a hit since discovering DDBB. 8-)
GEL

Postby DDBBAdmin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi GEL,

I remember waiting for those floppy disks as well. I still have some of them :D
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby Mike Hais » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 pm

I have been playing baseball simulation games for over 60 years or since I was about 10 years old. Like many of the others who have posted on this thread I started with Ethan Allen's All-Star Baseball by Cadaco Ellis. I probably wore out 3 or 4 spinners and sets of disks along the way. But I was always looking for something new. At one point, I bought a game I saw advertised in Baseball Digest that used playing cards. It was advertised as a game first developed for the troops during World War II. I still remember that an ace of hearts was a home run, an ace of diamonds was a triple, an ace of spades was a double on which a runner scored from first base, and an ace of clubs was a double on which a runner advanced only two bases.

My first voyage into baseball sims that promised more realistic and statistically accurate play was the APBA game which in the pre-computer era was available only as a dice and card game. I obtained my first APBA game in 1959 when I was a high school sophomore. Three years later when I went away to college my mother decided to clean out my closet and throw away my APBA game and all of the individual season cards, including the set that replicated the 1961 season that featured Roger Maris's record breaking 61 home runs. She explained that now that I was in college I should be willing to give up all of my "baby things," something that included baseball simulation games.

She was, of course, wrong. Once I was out on my own I, once again, bought APBA games (both the basic and master editions). Both of those, along with card sets for about 20 seasons are now on a shelf in a closet in my home office. I loved APBA, but the problem of attempting to recreate a season and keep stats by hand was insurmountable.

The arrival of the PC changed all of that. I bought my first Diamond Mind game (version 7) in 1998 (1997 season). Since then i have obtained each new DMB version (8-11) and all of the season databases that are available. I still consider DMB to be the premier computer-based baseball sim.

But, I am always looking for something new and, for that reason, I bought Digital Diamond Baseball a few weeks ago. For a number of reasons, DDBB is the strongest competitor to DMB I have ever obtained and played. Although it's taken a bit of time for me to adjust to the way DDBB works, once I did that with Mark's help, I have found it easy to play and work with the game. I'm also impressed with how accurately it replicates major league baseball. Within parameters, it gives individual gamers a lot of discretion on how they use the game. I am particularly impressed by Mark's responsiveness to my questions and his willingness to consider and possibly accommodate the suggestions and requests of the DDBB community. I am also impressed by the activity on this board. This is clearly a going concern operated by an owner who cares about the product he is offering and the wishes of his customers.

Finally, just a bit about me. I have a doctorate in political science. For the first 7 years after grad school, I taught political science (American government and political behavior) at the university level. But, I found that I wanted to actively participate in politics and did political polling for 6 years. i loved it and was actually pretty successful working for a governor, 2 US Senators, and several members of the House of Representatives. Unfortunately, that work was more a labor of love than a profitable undertaking and I took a position with a market research and consultation firm that specialized in broadcasting, especially TV news and entertainment programming. I worked for that company for 22+ years until I retired 12 years ago. Since retiring, I have co-authored 4 books, primarily about the impact of generational change on American politics and society, one of which was selected a NY Times favorite book in 2008. In addition to giving me the time to write, retirement has also allowed me to devote more attention to my first love, baseball, and to playing baseball sim games.

I appreciate the openness of Mark and the entire DDBB community and look forward to being a part of that community in the future.
Mike Hais

Postby rdrunner » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:06 am

Welcome Mike. That is quite an interesting post!
rdrunner

Postby DDBBAdmin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 am

Hi MIke,

Welcome -- I enjoyed reading about your fascinating career, and your story about Mom "cleaning out" your closet is priceless!

Glad you are enjoying the game.
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby Mike Hais » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:25 am

Thank you, Mark. Glad you enjoyed the story about my mom. What kind of Baby Boomer would I be if I didn't whine about my parents even for things that happened half a century ago?
Mike Hais

Previous

Return to Casual Chat About Baseball Sims