CG Options

This forum is limited to questions about the many different options supported by DDBB.

CG Options

Postby es2796 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:40 pm

I am working with importing and creating a season (1990). After a series of calibrations, everything lines up perfectly except for CGs. In the AL the number of CGs is way over, in the NL way under. I know you can adjust this by changing the Starter Dura Bonus and that will increase or decrease CGs for the entire major leagues. That won't help me as I need to increase CGs in NL and decrease in AL. I've tried changing the League Averages and using the NL and AL as opposed to the combined LgAvg and neither one changes things much. Is there a way to set the Dura Bonus differently for each league, or is there another way I can go about this?

Thanks
Ed
es2796

Re: CG Options

Postby johnnybravo17 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 am

In the NL, are the starters primarily being removed from the game while on defense, or are they mostly being pinch hit for?

If it's the former, then you indeed have a vexing problem.

If it's the latter, then the Dura Bonus could still be high (leading to the AL problem), but you're not seeing it in the NL because the tendency to pinch hit is also too high (causing NL pitchers to be removed from games prematurely).

Not intended to be a scientific or definitive answer ... just an attempt at a possible explanation for this seemingly strange phenomenon based solely on the information you've provided.

Another quick and dirty way to test this would be to set both leagues to DH (or non-DH), run a replay and see what happens. If my hypothesis holds true, then you should see both leagues behave similarly under these settings. If so, it'd probably be easiest to focus on the AL and dial in the Dura Bonus first ... and then figure out what to do in the NL to deal with the pinch-hitting phenomenon.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby es2796 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:49 am

JB-

Your hypothesis seems to be correct. Adjustment of the dura on the AL has dramatic effect, but not so much on the NL because of the pinch hitters and how they are being used by the CM. I guess there's really no way to deal with that. Since all other stats seem to be true, perhaps I need to just accept than anomaly. I'm afraid messing too much with it would throw off some of the other numbers. I was hoping doing several auto-calibration runs would smooth this out, but it does not. Thanks for your input.

Ed
es2796

Postby johnnybravo17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 am

Calibrating any season where the two leagues play under different rules is challenging.

And you are correct that monkeying with the pinch hitting settings will change other numbers ... as should be the case. As it is, if the lack of CG in the NL coincides with a reduced number of AB for all pitchers (and it's hard to imagine otherwise), then your seemingly "correct" numbers for that league are masking a slightly (or perhaps significant) diminished offensive output. The magnitude of this can only be determined by how many extra AB position players are receiving, but one would expect that position players should significantly outhit pitchers, therefore (all other things being equal) if pitchers aren't getting the proper number of AB, then your offense in the NL should be inflated accordingly. If it isn't, then the NL numbers aren't really "correct" at all.

You'll also likely have to go to the team level (if you haven't already) to get things to work out correctly. In 1990, the Dodgers led the NL with 29 CG. By contrast, the Cardinals only had 8. The durability settings of their starters will take care of this to some degree, but there's a definite difference there in the way that Lasorda viewed and used pinch hitters/his bullpen vs. the Cardinals trio of Herzog, Schoendienst and Torre. And you'll need to go to the team level to model that.

It just depends on how much work you really want to do, and where your definition of "accuracy" lies.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby DDBBAdmin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Interesting dilemma Ed -- thanks for posting this. Just another reason to hate the DH :D

JB's idea of changing the pinch hitting and reliever usage settings in the team profiles for specific teams might work. But at some point we are just hacking away, which is bad. A better solution needs to be added to the game.

The good news is it is that time of year again. I have started work on V7 and the planned release date is opening day. I have added this issue to my list and will try my best to address it in V7. One possibility is to have different calibration options for each league and then let the auto-calibration work its magic. But I need to think about this some more.

Thanks for the feedback!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby es2796 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't know of all the intricacies it might mess with to have a different calibration for each league, but on the face of it, that sounds like a very reasonable solution. And, yes, definitely another reason to hate the DH, just like I hate artificial turf.

Ed
es2796

Return to Options