Linux version - missing checkboxes? sound?

Use the forum to ask questions about how to play Digital Diamond Baseball

Linux version - missing checkboxes? sound?

Postby David » Tue May 23, 2017 4:19 pm

I've run into two issues with DDBBv6 on Linux. I'm running the game on Arch Linux, with JRE installed from the user repository. The first issue is that the checkboxes are missing in the Game Options window, as well as the next window for selecting Computer or Human Manager. Please review the screenshots located at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5yf5xBocRIYRmEyQlRRVGZZbjQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5yf5xBocRIYNWhSNVRyX1JTbnc/view?usp=sharing

The second issue is that game sounds don't work on my Linux installation. However, the sounds do work when running the Windows version of the game in a VM on the same Linux system. I'm sure that I'm just missing something in my Linux setup. Any guidance about where to look would be appreciated.

Otherwise, the game runs great on Linux. However, I'm stuck until the checkbox issue is resolved. I played out one game with my chosen team, but I must have lucked into selecting them as Human Manager because I can't repeat it again for the next game. I keep getting stuck with the other team, the home team, as human managed.

Thanks!
David

Re: Linux version - missing checkboxes? sound?

Postby johnnybravo17 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:48 pm

OK,

Just downloaded 6.04 for Linux.

I'm using Zorin 9, which is basically Ubuntu 14.04 with a bunch of additions aimed at making it easy to run Windows apps (most .EXE's will simply run if you click on them ... which turns out to be valuable because we develop a lot of code intended for Windows desktops).

Here's what I'm seeing:

1) I can confirm the missing checkboxes. I actually reported this back in 6.01 ... and then never delivered the screenshots I promised. But the ones you've posted illustrate the problem nicely.

2) The sound works for me. It always has. If I had to guess, I'd say to make sure that you have sound effects enabled in options (not sure what the default is) and also to check the path of where your sound files are located.

3) The missing checkboxes won't prevent you from changing Human Manger and Computer Manager. Just start the game using whatever settings exist by default, throw the first pitch, and then use the small "HM" and "CM" buttons (next to the team names in the linescore) to toggle things however you'd like them ... be it HM vs HM, CM vs CM, or simply the reverse of the default. This also happens to be the Windows trick for getting CM vs CM to work ... as it's impossible to start a game that way. In Linux, this works for me just the same as it does in Windows.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby David » Wed May 24, 2017 4:13 am

Thanks for your help, JB. I got the sound working by installing PulseAudio. I remember now that in a previous build I had to install that program. I appreciate the tip about setting HM and CM after the first pitch. Now I can play games as my chosen team.

Back to the sound issue. I'm playing the 2016 season, imported from the library. I hear the dice roll sound then Rocky music, dice roll, Rocky music, wash, rinse, and repeat. The season imported with every sound set to rocky.wav, with the exception of the dice roll. ...I just imported the 1979 season, which is one of the updated seasons, and it is also set to rocky.wav for every sound. Not a show stopper, but something for Mark to look into.
David

Postby DDBBAdmin » Wed May 24, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the heads up. I just tested this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I am able to see the checkboxes:

http://digitaldiamondbaseball.com/teasers/LinuxVer1.png
http://digitaldiamondbaseball.com/teasers/LinuxVer2.png

I will install a few VMs with the other distributions you mentioned and see if I can get this resolved.

The issue with the sound files is not Linux specific. I get the same results when I run the game on MacOS. I will definitely get that fixed too!

Thanks!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby DDBBAdmin » Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am

One more comment -- and you probably know this -- you can fix the sounds in the Sound Options Group. So, until this is fixed, if you set the sound options manually they should stick.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed May 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks for looking into these issues, Mark. In the mean time I think I have all of the workarounds I need to continue playing the game.
David

Postby DDBBAdmin » Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi David,

Great news! I do have one more question: What version of the Java Runtime Edition (JRE) are you using? Also, is it the Oracle JRE or the Open JRE?
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed May 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Mark,

It looks like I installed Oracle 8u131. Here's a link to the jre version from the Arch Linux User Repository:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jre/

Let me know if you want me to try something on my system, or install a different version.

Thanks
David

Postby johnnybravo17 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm using the Oracle JRE on my Zorin 9 setup here on my laptop at work.

I've really been meaning to install Zorin 12 (based on Ubuntu 16.04) both at home, and on a new laptop (not purchased yet) to replace this one. That's interesting that you can see the checkboxes ... maybe I'll try to install 12 at home tonight to see if that makes any difference.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby DDBBAdmin » Mon May 29, 2017 1:38 pm

JB: OK, so I installed Zorin 9 and then installed Oracle JRE 8. Next, I installed DDBB 6.0.4 on it and gave it a spin. To my surprise I was able to see the checkboxes fine. So, this is more complicated than I was hoping. Full disclosure, I am running Zorin in a virtual machine. I am interested in hearing if Zorin 12 makes a difference on your end.

David: I fixed the bug with the sound options. That fix will be in 6.0.5 (released on June 1st). That bug exists across operating systems. I would like to try and reproduce the checkbox problem you are getting on Arch Linux, but I need a bit more information about the "flavor" of Arch Linux you are using. Did you install Arch Linux from scratch or did you use an Arch-Based Linux distribution? What Desktop Environment are you using (e.g. KDE, GNOME)?

Thanks.
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support