Minor PBP issue found. plus PBP questions

Use the forum to ask questions about how to play Digital Diamond Baseball

Minor PBP issue found. plus PBP questions

Postby royalblue23 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi,

I am new to Digital Diamond Baseball. The game seems very robust, and I like the ability to create and edit players since I am into fictional play and would like to bring my own preexisting players and teams into the game.

The one thing that I really don't care for is the existing play-by-play, but I see there is a way to create my own. I also understand that some other gamers have created custom PBP.

In the process of reading the systemPBP.properties file to get an idea how this works, I ran into two PBP descriptions that apparently will never be executed due to typos.

Both of these typos are misspellings of the word "often" and can be found easily using Find (and/or Replace). The first is "ofnte" and the second is "ofte." with a dot. The dot is crucial if you do a replace, or otherwise you might be replacing ALL instances of the word "often".

I did not see any other typos. I went ahead and edited my copy of systemPBP.properties, but I realize that this isn't something I should make a habit of doing.

Now for my questions. If I want to create user PBP, do I create ONLY the custom PBP in the userPBP.properties file, or do I need to copy and paste all the systemPBP.properties contents into the userPBP.properties file? Second, is it possible for me to download custom PBP that other gamers have already created as a mod?

Thanks.

John
royalblue23

Re: Minor PBP issue found. plus PBP questions

Postby DDBBAdmin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:42 am

Hi John,

I am glad you are enjoying the game! Thanks for pointing out the spelling errors. I have added this issue to our bug tracking system and they will be fixed in the next release.

If you create a userPBP file, you only have to include the PBP events you want to override. All of the events in systemPBP file that you choose not to override in userPBP will remain in the game. This definitely simplifies things.

I believe there are lots of users that have experimented with custom PBP, but only one has shared there work. His forum username is JohnnyBravo (AKA JB) and his custom PBP is amazing. I would guess that at least 50% of our customer bases uses his PBP file instead of the one that comes with the game. You can download his PBP from this site http://twikisandbox.com/do/view/DDBB/WebHome. Once you have his custom PBP file you can further modify it if you like.

One more thing worth mentioning: You can also create custom PBP files for teams. These files will be used for the team's home games. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Create a custom PBP file (give it any name you like)
  • Save the file to the DigitalDiamondDataFilesV6\PBP folder
  • Goto the Edit Teams page and click on Edit for the team you want to assign the custom PBP to. This will display the Team Properties dialog box.
  • Select your new PBP file from the "PBP File" dropdown and click on OK.
  • Play a home game with that team and you should see the new PBP. If you don't try restarting DDBB (I can''t remember is a restart is required).

JB is usually active on the forum, and he is definitely our resident expert on custom PBP. So, if you have questions, post them here and I am sure you will get some help.

I hope this helps you get started. Contact customer support if you create something that you want to share with the user community. I would be happy to post it on our site!

Have fun!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby johnnybravo17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Been really busy of late, and not getting nearly as much baseball simulation in as I'd like ... but I'm always lurking about. <G>

It's great to see someone else take an interest in the PBP. I'll only add that the file I created (including the comments therein) and it's companion README should give you some pretty good insight as to how you might go about incorporating your own events. Without putting a damper on your own creativity, close and careful study should give you a much better idea of what you can and can't do than just looking at the systemPBP by itself.

Beyond that, feel free to fire away with any questions directly to this thread. I absolutely love this stuff!

As for the PBP file itself ... I've still got one more big "push" to deliver before I consider the base file to be more or less "complete". Obviously, it's never "finished", because I can always think of new things to add. But just as I greatly expanded the descriptions of every "out" in the game with the last major update, I still need to do the same with the "hits". This is actually more than 75% done and has been that way for quite some time. But it's extremely buggy at the moment, and I just haven't gotten in there to correct all of the typos and branching (making sure that the text and spacing of the "hits" correspond exactly with the text and spacing of the "outs" they were meant to counter) yet. As the file has grown to be fairly large, that's much more than an evening's work at this point.

Whenever I finally finish that off, I should also have a few classic stadium files ready to go in short order. I've done lots of work on Wrigley Field, The Polo Grounds, Fenway Park, Crosley Field, Ebbets Field, Colt Stadium, and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment. I do enjoy them in my own replays. The trouble is that every change to the "base" file now needs to be propagated to every single one of the custom stadium files. I've got a nifty system in place for doing that (because manually re-typing all of that text, along with all of the formatting involved another dozen or so times is absolutely out of the question!), but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to distribute the incomplete stadium mods until the base file is in something closer to a "final" state.

I'd love to add that I'm planning on finishing all of this up in a week or three ... but alas, I recently had an employee move away, and my responsibilities have ramped up considerably in my futile (so far) attempts to replace him. So none of the DDBB projects have gotten the love recently that they were getting a few months prior. I'm still playing the game regularly, but my work on the mods and add-on's has slowed to a feeble crawl. Hopefully I'll find some remedy to that situation sometime soon.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby royalblue23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi DDBBAdmin and JB,

Thanks for the replies and for all the work that has been done on the game and on PBP. I have been writing some of my own PBP lines, using numbers in the 900s so that anyone who has written custom PBP with numbers in the 600s will not have any conflicts.

I have a suggestion for a future version of the game that would make adding team-specific and stadium-specific PBP easier to work with. JB alluded to having to copy PBP changes down to all stadium PBP files. Why not do the following? Consider the fact that the userPBP.properties file (or designated file name) overrides systemPBP.properties. Similarly, if you were to add a second level of override, and allow the user to select TWO custom PBP files for each team, there would only need to be one userPBP.properties file. Any stadium- or team-specific PBP could go in a file for that specific stadium or team.

For example:

For the 2016 Milwaukee Brewers, the user selects userPBP.properties as the first user PBP file and millerParkPBP.properties as the second user PBP file. The game uses systemPBP plus userPBP as it already does, but in addition, it adds in the team- or stadium-specific text. Now if you want to make league-wide PBP changes, you make them in one PBP file instead of in 30 files.

This enhancement would also allow the following to take place:

1. Users could create their own custom text without it getting overwritten by any changes/additions JB makes.
2. Users wouldn't have to add their own text to JB's PBP file(s). They could simply create them and call them from within the options screens.

Thanks for listening.

John
royalblue23

Postby johnnybravo17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Great suggestion ... but two files still seems arbitrary.

The best solution would be to be able to specify a string of PBP files (especially since they're all read before the game begins anyway) that works the same way any include system works in any programming language.

That way, you could have a core (ie. systemPBP), standard modifications (customPBP), team specific (fenwayPBP, poloPBP, etc.), situation specific (pennant races, showdowns between league leaders, battle of HR leaders, etc. etc.) and a whole slew of things that no one has even thought of yet.

The only requirement would be the adoption of some sort of standard for which numbers to utilize in each type of file, so that the events didn't load over each other. For example, I use the 100 and 300 series in the base file, and code all of the stadium specific events in the 400 series. So all my "system" does when it builds the files is to merge the appropriate 400's section from the database into the skeleton text of the userPBP file that you're downloading from the website. These entries also include additional lines to "blank out" any of the standard text that they're meant to replace (to account for the fact, for example, that no one EVER hit a home run out of the ballpark to CF in Colt Stadium).

But if we had a system that supported multiple files, I wouldn't have to do that. The game's own include system would take care of that for me. It would also make it easier for someone to add their own flair (for example, a file that just included a number of custom HR calls), to someone else's work without having to muck about in what has now become a pretty involved chunk of text (speaking of my own PBP file). You could easily mix and match the work of multiple contributors, and would-be PBP artitsts could focus on much smaller, specific pieces of the game (strikeouts, HR's, etc.) as they saw fit.

My two cents, anyway.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby royalblue23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi JB,

Makes perfect sense; no need to limit ourselves to two files when three or more could work.

I do have a suggestion while we are discussing PBP. In the context of team- or stadium-specific PBP, I would like to see us have tokens for events that are home-team specific (and possibly also for away team-specific events). Then the "home team broadcasting crew" can show extra gusto when the home team does something well. Right now, I don't see any difference between tokens for home team homers, hits, strikeouts on defense, etc. and equivalent events favoring the visiting team.

John
royalblue23

Postby DDBBAdmin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:40 pm

These are all great suggestions. I made sure that these are all in our database. We will try and implement these in Version 7.

Thanks!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby royalblue23 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 pm

That sounds great! Thank you very much.

John
royalblue23

Return to Support