Manually flag runs as earned/unearned

Use this forum to make suggestions about features you would like to see added to Digital Diamond Baseball

Manually flag runs as earned/unearned

Postby Anibal House » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 pm

I may be the only one anal enough to get any use out of this suggestion, but I just had a game in which an earned run was charged which should have been unearned. It would be cool if there were a way to manually flag runs as earned or unearned if we disagree with the DDBB "official scorer."
Anibal House

Re: Manually flag runs as earned/unearned

Postby pfunkone » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:35 pm

I agree. On a larger scale, the ability to edit statistical totals of any kind would be a great addition. I know of many people who have purchased another company's computer game for this feature alone. It would also dovetail nicely with DDBB's overall approach of a fully modifiable and transparent game engine. :)
pfunkone

Postby johnnybravo17 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Anibal House wrote:I may be the only one anal enough to get any use out of this suggestion, but I just had a game in which an earned run was charged which should have been unearned. It would be cool if there were a way to manually flag runs as earned or unearned if we disagree with the DDBB "official scorer."

I agree in principal that the ability to make such edits would be a cool feature to add to DDBB.

However, the fact that the play was scored incorrectly is most certainly a bug. And the coolest feature of DDBB, by far, is that if you bring such a bug to light in this forum ... it will be tracked down and stamped out, post haste. Sometimes in a matter of mere days! (Not a promise, but an accurate reflection of past events.)

I'm sure Mark would be interested in the particulars of the play in question, as would I.
--JB
johnnybravo17

Location: Somewhere on the outskirts of sanity, and perhaps in your head, as the unofficial 'voice' of DDBB

Postby DDBBAdmin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Great post guys.

I am definitely interested in learning the details of this scoring error so it can be fixed. Unearned runs tricky! Anibal if you have the details, please share them here. I certainly want to correct this ASAP.

I also agree that the ability to edit stats would be very nice! It is also fairly easy to do. In fact, there are some tools already out there that would allow you to edit the library file directly, as it is a standard SQLite database. But, it would also be quite easy for me to create a screen that lets you edit season stats. I will add this to the TODO list for a future release.

Thanks!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby Anibal House » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:32 pm

OK, here is the play-by-play in question:

Code: Select all
Dobbins steps to the plate, one out.

the pitch...

hard line drive to center field...

Raymond can't get there in time... base hit.

Trantham makes himself comfortable in the box, one out.

Dobbins is on first.

they are holding the runner.

Dobbins has a good lead...

Dobbins is off... Ruiz throws it into the outfield

error on Ruiz.

Dobbins advances to third.

Trantham makes himself comfortable in the box, one out.

Dobbins is on third.

Mosley looks in for the sign... the pitch...

hard ground ball to shortstop...

backhand grab to his left and Solis throws to Buchanan for the out.

Dobbins scores from third.

Rapadas steps into the box, two outs.

here is a smoking fastball...

ground ball to first base...

Buchanan fields it and steps on the bag for the out.

So Dobbins only advances to third because of the throwing error and then he scores on a groundout. Without the error, he at best would have been at third with two outs and would have been stranded after the final groundout. However, the pitcher was charged with an earned run. I'm guessing what made this situation unique is that it involved a throwing error on a stolen base which doesn't happen terribly often.
Anibal House

Postby DDBBAdmin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Excellent, thanks for posting this. I will dig into this and get it fixed!
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Postby navyvet1994 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:41 am

Actually should have an option to change number of earned runs. I just had an inning where 2 H & Rs were done back to back, and 1 three run HR was hit. The Pitcher got exactly 1 earned run with 2 errors in the inning I think there should have been a minimum of three

This was the only error in the inning 1978 Yankees Twins Yankees scored 6 runs

Chambliss steps to the plate, nobody out.
here is a slider down low...
hard line drive to right field...
Chambliss is hustling around first... and he slides into second for a double.
Powell bobbles the ball attempting the throw to the infield ...
Chambliss is trying to take an extra base...
safe... give the error to Powell
Should have been 5 Earned runs
navyvet1994

Postby DDBBAdmin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Yes, an option to edit earned runs is a good idea. I have entered this in our database to be included in version 7. Thanks for the suggestion\.
Cheers,
DDBBAdmin
DDBBAdmin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions